Yueh Hai Ching Temple is a Chinese temple in Singapore located in Raffles Place, The temple, whose name literally translates to "Cantonese Temple of Calming Sea", was the first stop for Chinese immigrants to Singapore in the early 19th century.
Yueh Hai Ching Temple is Singapore's oldest Taoist temple. It was constructed between 1850 and 1855, and was rebuilt in 1895. The temple holds a special significance for the Teochew community, whose way of life was closely associated with the sea.
Designed by Chinese craftsmen, the temple was constructed with rosewood imported from China. It is the only temple in Singapore to have detailed three-dimensional moulded ornaments on its roof as well as legendary Chinese figures engraved on its walls. Wooden plaques depicting auspicious characters, donated by traders and devotees, can be seen within its perimeter. The Guangxu Emperor presented a plaque to the temple in 1907.
The temple is divided into two parts, one dedicated to the Jade Emperor (Heavenly Father), the other to Mazu (Heavenly Mother).
The temple is especially busy during the first and fifteenth day of each lunar month, as well as the third and twenty-third days of the third lunar month, which celebrate the birthdays of the Heavenly Father and Heavenly Mother.
© Grewals Photography 2014