Sri Vadapathira Kaliamman Temple is widely believed to have started in 1830 with a sole female devotee. She had placed a picture of Amman under a banyan tree that was located near the present temple.
The location of the temple, at the junction of Balestier, Serangoon. Race Course and Rangoon roads, was very popular because it had several wells and water points. Many residents from nearby areas frequented the area to collect water for themselves.
In 1935, Mr Rengasamy Mooriyar converted the premises into a full-fledged temple and conducted the consecration ceremony, paying for the expenses from his retirement savings.
Sri Vinayakar, Muruga and Ambal were the main deities of the temple.
© Grewals Photography 2014